Sambucus nigra / Elderberries
Are specifically used for the treatment of colds and acute infections such as rhinitis, fever, headaches, nausea, croup, conjunctivitis, pharyngitis and tonsilitis.
These are the main ingredient for this syrup, plus some additional warming herbs that are also amazing for immune support.
1 cup dried elderberries
4 cups water
1 cup of honey
inch of fresh ginger (grated)
2 cinnamon sticks
1. Add everything but the honey to a pot.
2. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and allow to simmer for 45 minutes to an hour (or until the liquid has reduced by half) Stir occasionally to ensure nothing sticks to the pot
3. Turn off the heat and mash the berries, using a fork or potato masher.
4. Once cool enough to handle, strain the mixture using muslin cloth. Squeeze the berries and herbs to ensure all liquid is removed. Discard the berries and herbs.
6. Add honey to the liquid just strained, and stir until it is combined.
7. Add to a glass jar with an airtight lid. The syrup can be stored in the fridge for up to three months. (if however it shows any signs of mould or anything funky looking - please discard) You can also store a smaller amount in the fridge - that you are going to use for now, and then keep the rest in the freezer for later.
Prevention: 1 tablespoon a day
Treatment: 1 tablespoon three times a day
as with any supplement or medicine, please ensure this is safe for you to take by checking with your current health care practitioner.
Hope you all enjoy this recipe ! Keep safe everyone.